WABS is committed to addressing the systemic racism that creates disparities in education. We are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion, which requires that we use our collective voice to identify and eliminate institutional barriers that deny equitable access and impact the success of Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), and other underserved students.
In order to achieve our vision of ensuring that each and every student graduates with the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in a global economy, we must address systemic racism and align our beliefs to action aimed at dismantling inequities with commitments that operationalize this for our organization.
- We believe that systemic racism must be addressed at every level of our organization through policy, procedure, and practice.
- We believe in leading with an Equity mindset as we work to increase access and breakdown barriers for students and families.
- We believe that Diversity is not only a metric of compliance, but a celebration and recognition of the richness that differences bring and should be fostered. Educational equity benefits all students and our entire community.
- We believe that to be Inclusive, we must go beyond this statement to operationalize anti-racism as a part of our practice to increase access for those furthest from educational justice.
- We believe the responsibility for student success is broadly shared by staff, families, our partners, and our community.
Leadership and Commitment
At WABS we are committed to:
- Utilizing the WABS Equity, Diversity, and Inclusive Decision making tool to help shape and determine key program and budget decisions.
- Providing ongoing professional development focused on anti-racism, implicit bias, and discrimination.
- Implementing practices that promote the recruitment, employment, support, and retention of a culturally responsive and diverse workforce.
- Ensuring that EDI goals and accountability measures are embedded in all WABS programs and services.
- Holding ourselves accountable to EDI goals developed in partnership with the Board of Directors.
- Centering our work around the needs of students, families, and communities.